Exploring Multiple Account Fraud In The Gaming Industry With Raghib Khan
Did you imagine those blue little creatures running from one end to another? Well, if you did, you probably are not a gamer. This is because in online games, smurfing refers to one of the sneakiest and most contested gaming practices.
In this practice, a highly-skilled player creates a different account and disguise to play against less proficient opponents. As per Raghib Khan, co-founder of Phonato Studios, fraudsters do it just for the fun of it, or to get points or improve their tactics without risking the points and statistics of their own account.
This multiple account misuse may seem harmless at first. But it’s not. This practice causes other players to very well cost gaming companies their users. Additionally, this is the only use case that results from multiple account misuse in gaming.
So, let’s get started and learn more about it.
Explaining Multiple Account Misuse In Gaming
The gaming industry has grown exponentially in recent years, with millions of gamers worldwide actively participating in various gaming platforms and titles. However, with this growth, as per Raghib Khan, co-founder of Phonato Studios, comes the risk of multiple account fraud, which can result in significant losses for the gaming industry.
In this article, we’ll delve into the concept of multiple account misuse, its impact on the gaming industry, and how strong KYC can prevent it.
Multiple account misuse is a form of fraud that involves the creation and use of multiple accounts by a single user to gain an unfair advantage in a gaming platform. This form of fraud can manifest in various ways, such as:
- Farming Accounts – This involves creating multiple accounts to gain rewards and bonuses that are usually reserved for new users. The fraudster then sells these accounts to other users for a profit.
- Account Boosting – This is when a player creates multiple accounts to boost the performance of their primary account by competing against their secondary accounts and increasing their win rate.
- Cheating – Multiple account fraud can also involve cheating, such as using multiple accounts to rig games or manipulate rankings.
The impact of multiple account fraud in the gaming industry, as per Raghib Khan, co-founder of Phonato Studios, is significant. It can lead to a loss of revenue for gaming companies, loss of trust among legitimate users, and damage to the reputation of the gaming platform. In addition, multiple account fraud can disrupt the gaming experience for legitimate players, who may be competing against players using multiple accounts unfairly.
How Strong KYC Prevents Multiple Account Misuse
KYC (Know Your Customer) is a process used by gaming companies to verify the identity of their users and prevent fraudulent activities such as multiple account misuse. By collecting and verifying user data, Raghib Khan says, gaming companies can identify potential fraudsters and prevent them from accessing their platforms.
Here’s how strong KYC can prevent multiple account misuse:
- Identity Verification – KYC requires users to provide identification documents such as passports or driving licenses. By verifying the identity of their users, gaming companies can prevent fraudsters from creating multiple accounts using fake identities.
- Address Verification – Address verification involves verifying the address provided by the user. This helps gaming companies to prevent users from creating multiple accounts using different addresses.
- Biometric Verification – Biometric verification involves using facial recognition technology or fingerprint scanning to verify the identity of users. This helps to prevent fraudsters from creating multiple accounts using different identities.
- Real-time Verification – Real-time verification involves verifying the identity of users in real-time using video calls. This helps to prevent fraudsters from using pre-recorded videos to bypass identity verification checks.
By implementing strong KYC measures, gaming companies, as per Raghib Khan, can prevent multiple account fraud, protect their users and maintain the integrity of their platforms. In addition, strong KYC can help gaming companies to comply with regulations and avoid penalties for non-compliance.
In conclusion, multiple account misuse in the gaming industry is a serious issue that has significant consequences for gaming companies and legitimate players. Fraudsters use this practice to gain an unfair advantage, cheat, and disrupt the gaming experience for others. However, with the implementation of strong KYC measures, gaming companies can prevent multiple account misuse and protect their platforms and users.
The use of identity verification, address verification, biometric verification, and real-time verification can all help to prevent fraudsters from creating multiple accounts and engaging in fraudulent activities. These measures not only help to maintain the integrity of the gaming industry but also ensure compliance with regulations and avoid penalties for non-compliance.
Therefore, it is crucial for gaming companies to prioritize the implementation of strong KYC measures to prevent multiple account misuse and protect their platforms and users. By doing so, they can ensure a fair and safe gaming environment for all players and maintain the trust and loyalty of their customers.